Lynn Medeiros was a very interesting speaker. She was very energetic about her topic and you could observe that in her body language. I have always thought about fallacious reasoning; I understood what it was but I could never find a name for it.
As Lynn Medeiros began to talk about the different types of fallacious reasoning, such as "Appeal to Ignorance" and "Appeal to General Belief," I was surprised to see how many people in the world actually use these techniques. It was both funny and sort of sickening at the same time, because now I understood how many people of authority, such as politicians, governors, and even the (ex)-president use these argumentative techniques. I took the handout home and showed it to my dad. I almost thought he was going to have a heart attack. He was not mad at me he was mad because now he understood how many people, such as Rush Limbaugh, use these techniques to gain power and popularity.
However, as these things were going on I couldn't help but feel a little hypocritical. I admit that I have used some of these techniques in the past. Of course it wasn't so I could "rise to power" but nonetheless I've still used them.
Because of Lynn Medeiros' talk I am more aware of when people try to use fallacious reasoning, even myself.
It makes you wonder what the United States would be like if we didn't use fallacious reasoning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with Matt's statement when he mentioned how lively Lynn Medeiro's was in speaking. As a communications major i really focus in on how a speech is performed, how passionate the person is, how knowledgeable he or she is on topic and look at their sources of information. I thought Lynn Medeiros really keep the attention of her audience. She also keep the students mind's thinking about her conception and challenge the thinking process. I also agree with Matt when he mentioned Fallacies;however for me it was the first time hearing and learning what they are and how to watch out for these fallacies. Even though i did not agree with all of what Lynn said ; however Her speech was a real eye opener.
ReplyDelete