I grew up with hippie parents. I know some people will ask "Well define a hippie," and in fact it's really quite simple. When my parents were younger they used to work in Eugene, Oregon as hoedads. Now a hoedad is a person who is hired by a park or wildlife organization and lives in a forest and basically plants saplings. My parents worked for a year and all they did was plant baby trees.
My parents continued working like this for several more years. When I came into the picture my parents were really interested in the outdoors. It seemed like almost every month we went camping somewhere. And it wasn't just around our home, we travelled all around California and visited many national parks and reserves.
When I was younger I actually hated camping. I did not enjoy leaving my home and going somewhere in the middle of nowhere to freeze. But as I grew older I really began to appreciate camping. I would look forward to our annual camping trips. Perhaps it was something new or perhaps it was the opportunity to go "off the grid" but either way I began to see the environment in a different way.
Because of how my parents raised me and the experiences I had, I am more aware of my impact on the environment. Now I'm not mister perfect, I drive a lot because of school. However, I do carpool a lot as well.
I am content with my viewpoint of the environment for now. However, I see my viewpoint changing in the future. I plan on travelling and seeing more of the world and perhaps that will influence my perceptions of the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's funny your parents are hippies, but I think it's very cool that you got to go camping alot as a child. I think I've only gone a couple times in my lifetime. Don't worry, noone's perfect. I drive a lot too & you probably do a better job at conservation than I do.
ReplyDeleteHaha thats so cool that your parents were hippies. I grew up in Granite Bay so my parents are very conservative.
ReplyDeleteI think that we all drive a lot. Thats good that you try and carpool.