Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gary Liss: Zero Waste

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
This should become a mantra for this generation. If we can actually commit these acts on a regular basis the future will look much, much brighter.
I enjoyed what Gary Liss said about Nature being the model. The Earth has survived for many years before we came along and it didn't require anybody to clear it's forests or control it's wildlife. It survived through it's own natural processes. This is what we need to realize. People need to realize that the problems that are being caused in the world aren't because of a "warming phase" or that the earth is merely rotating closer to the sun (I've heard this excuse), we need to realize that WE ARE THE PROBLEM! But we can also be the solution. Humans are a part of the Earth, I am not disputing this. However, we need find a way to coexist naturally with the planet without poisoning the air, wasting resources, or endangering wildlife.
When Gary Liss talked about composting I remembered when my family once had a compost pile. I was a lot younger, around 9 years-old, and we had a giant monster of a pile behind our house. Every night once we finished dinner, it was my duty to take all the scraps (and anything else) out back and dump it on the pile. I completely despised doing this. I hated having to go out at night to pour what looked like garbage on a smelly pile. Eventually the pile faded away and I never had to do that again. But when Gary Liss talked about composting the entire magnitude of the discussion hit me. So when I got home, I convinced my parents to start another compost pile. We have been adding to it ever since.
ZERO WASTE OR DAM CLOSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment