Sunday, May 3, 2009

Joe Medeiros: Green Careers

I gotta admit when I walked into class that day and heard we were going to talk about green careers and how they can help sustain life, my mind went "ugh."
We have been learning the entire semester about consuming, conserving and how it all affects the environment. This class session seemed a regurgitation of all these things. However, there were several things that Joe touched on that were very important.
I enjoyed Joe's opinion about the "silverback dominance" that is quite apparent in our society. Joe talked about how we should educate women more so that they can have a more influential hand in our world. I am not saying women haven't been influential, not at all. But if more women are better educated we could have a slower rise in population, we could have better decisions in our economic policies and we could even have women in higher levels of responsibility (maybe presidency?)
Think about it. This "silverback dominance" has made men the supposed rulers of this world. But really, are men the actual rulers? I now take a quote from the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, "Men are the heads, but women are the necks." The head could not survive without the neck. So now I ask you, Who are the real rulers of the world?
Joe made an interesting point about green careers, and that is how the career should contribute more than what it receives. If someone is to follow a green or sustainable career, they need to consider what that career will require but more importantly what it can contribute to our society, country or even the world.
Once we can consider these factors only then will we be able to take the first steps on the road to our careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment