Ok so, Earth Day, why do we have it? Why do we need it? Does anyone actually do anything special on that particular day?
Well probably not. Many people still drive to work or school and many people still pollute the air. However, many more people actually make a change (even if it's for 1 day) they carpool, pick up trash, or even buy locally grown produce. Now these acts may seem small in comparison to say stopping 1,000 cars from driving for a day, but consider if 100 people picked up a single piece of trash? Or if 100 people decided to ride a bike instead of drive a car? These small acts can add and help the earth (even if it's for 1 day).
Obviously Earth Day has been around for a while, and awareness of it is growing slowly. In an almost peculiar way many companies and industries are commercializing it. Of all the things to have commercialized Earth day is probably not the best. But hey if it can get people to buy that energy-saving light bulb or maybe not drive that much than I'm all for it.
Earth day at Sierra was actually very interesting. I tried several of the fried grasshoppers and I even took several UV rays. When I got home I had a nice sunburn over my face and arms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Earth Day 2009 or any other year at that. I asked myself the same questions as you when writing this blog. What is earth day? why do we have it? what makes it different from the rest of the 364 days a year?
ReplyDeleteI like your analogy of thought. Sure we could carpool and change a lightbulb, but I like how you said what if 100 people ride a bike to work?... that would make some what of a differnce...
Im not sure where i personally stand on Earth Day. To me, everyday is earth day. I try my hardest to contibuate to making planet earth a beutiful place.. Oh wait, I got it... earth day is for ignorant people who do nothing for their planet. LOL
PS... high five for eating a fried grasshopper!!!
Ya i like what you said too. The little things do make a difference. Picking up trach and 100 people riding a bike does help a little.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed Earth day too.